About Tulsa Social
This instance is focused around the Tulsa community, and is open to anyone in Green Country.
Tulsa Social is federated to nearly all instances of the fediverse, which means you can follow pretty much anyone you want, no matter what instance they are on!
While it is open publicly, mind this is just one instance in the fediverse, and we encourage you to look at other instances available to be sure it’s the one you like, and if none please you and you got the knowledge to set things up, why not help the fediverse grow by making your own instance too! The Mastodon Project has a list of other instances available.
Please allow up to two weeks for approval (vacations happen). Most applications should be approved within 24 hours. Just let us know how you're connected to Tulsa or how you heard of us. We're mostly trying to keep it local and keep out spammers.
The first thing a new user is probably going to want to do is go to Preferences, then Other, and set your language settings. This will cause Mastodon to only give you posts in the languages you select, and hide all the other languages.
Next, you'll probably want to follow some people. We have a profile directory, and you can find people by interest in Trunk for the Fediverse.
The short version is:
- Don't be a jerk.
- CW controversial subjects and adult content.
- You must live at least vaguely near Tulsa.
- This machine kills fascists.
The details below are largely just to get ahead of any problems. If you can stay within what's going on in the four key points above, you're probably going to be OK.
Failure to respect any of these rules will lead to a warning, content removal, silencing, and/or suspension of your account.
The admins have the absolute right to decide to delete your account at their discretion.
We reserve the absolute right to take any actions regarding any instances that are connected with this instance. If your instance is detrimental to the overall good functioning of the fediverse or Tulsa Social, we will silence or completely suspend it.
You may discuss with the admins if you feel you were unfairly sanctioned (through DMs or by sending us an email if your account is suspended), so long as you don’t try and force your way after the final statement has been decided.
Our host (masto.host) runs backups daily in case of server failure. If we can't continue to operate, we will give you at least 3 months of warning before we go offline permanently.
If actions from users on other instances break our rules, check ifthe rules of the instance to which the user belongs are also broken before activating the "Forward to [instance]" option. You can go to the instance's "about/more" or similar "about" / "rules" sections to check. Instances that do no have any rules listed anywhere are de facto considered as unmoderated and will be suspended, you can specify the unmoderated nature of the source instance in your report.
- Respect international laws.
- Respect American law.
- Respect your tribe's laws.
- Respect Tulsa's laws.
- Don’t go insult others, whether you say it straight to their face or not.
- Content that is spammy, racist, sexist, hateful, or discriminating in any way is forbidden.
- Stalking and harassment is forbidden, if someone don’t want to have anything to do with you, leave them alone.
Content Warning (CW) policy
- CW drugs and lewd posts and pictures, kinks must be listed in the CW.
- Gore and "Real Life" lewd content must be set as unlisted or followers only in addition to proper tagging in the CW.
- Politics, religion, and other polemical subjects must be CW accordingly.
- Requests for financial help, and similar, are welcome when under CW. However try not to spam them.
- Bot posting must be CW as such,and follow the specifications in the "Accounts policy" section.
- We encourage the use of the content warning system for quality of life on contents such as food, selfies, current popular topics (e.g. game release), threads and long posts. If you're not sure, just CW it.
- This site is not intended for use by people under 18. Children under the age of 13 are prohibited.
- You must live in metro Tulsa or generally in a region commonly referred to as Green Country.
- Do not impersonate someone, unless for parody purposes (Ramaining respectful). This includes using other peoples' artworks without permission.
- Parody accounts must be obvious. When in doubt, tip your hand in the description.
- Bots must be tagged as such, and bot owners must ensure they will have a minimal impact on the instance's performances.
- Bot operators should consider only post in "unlisted", "followers only", or "direct" privacy settings, not public, to keep the local and federated timelines clear and focused on users if they post regularly.
- If your handle has been taken or stolen, and have the means to prove it yours, we may reattribute it to you.
- See the Link Verification section in the Mastodon documentation if you want to be verified.
- You may not create another account on this instance if your previous account has been suspended. Attempts to do so will be construed as computer trespassing.
- You may not use an avatar if it shows content that is listed to be content warned.
To the folks at Meow.social for inspiring this server and helping with some boilerplate and advice. Thanks to Seattle Social for the domain name inspiration.
This instance uses Mutant Standard emoji, which are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Unavailable content policy
- Considering the regional and predominantly English-speaking audience, instances that dominate the timeline with a majority of content in languages other than English might be silenced. You can still freely subscribe to this content, though it may be hidden by default.
- Instances with policies and content largely in conflict with this site's policy may be suspended.
- Send a DM to @TulsaSocial@social.tulsa.ok.us if content listed as unavailable should be made available. Mistakes happen, and we try to work with other instances as much as possible.